Skip to content ↓


Physical Education



The Physical Education department here at Ashmole, aim to provide an inclusive range of sporting activities, giving all students the opportunity to participate in high quality PE.

At KS3 students will participate in football, rugby, hockey, basketball, netball, volleyball, gymnastics, dance, hand ball, cricket, badminton, tennis, athletics and table tennis.

The KS3 curriculum will also enable students to become familiar with foundations of GCSE PE so as to prepare any student for life as a GCSE PE student. Throughout the year, students will be introduced to topics such as the skeletal system, muscular system and training methods to name but a few.

As students progress throughout KS4, they have more freedom to choose to specialise in activity areas during core PE lessons.  These activity areas include racket sports, invasion games and aesthetic activities as we aim to meet the needs of all students within our curriculum.

At Ashmole, GCSE PE and A Level PE are all examination options for students.

Grouping and Setting

In year 7 students are taught in single sex, mixed ability classes.  In year 8 and 9 students are set by ability.  During KS4 Core PE lessons students choose their activity groups.  Examination PE Groups are not set.


At KS3 students are assessed every half term on their performance in the sport they are undertaking.  KS3 students will also be tested on the application of rules and tactics in various sports as well as the theory content learned throughout the year.  This assessment will be in the format of an end of year exam.  The end of year theory exam will contribute 60% of the student’s end of year grade.  The remaining 40% will be taken by the student’s best 3 practical sports throughout the year.

KS4 Core PE is not assessed by performance but on a student’s attitude to learning.

GCSE PE is offered as an option choice for students in the Key Stage 4 curriculum.

GCSE PE is a varied course where students are assessed in 3 practical activities making up 40% of the course.  There is a large range of sports that can be assessed, not only traditional sports such as football and netball but activities such as skiing.  A 90 minute theory exam at the end of year 11 makes up the remaining 60%.   The theory course looks at anatomy and physiology, health and skill related fitness, the diet of an athlete and drugs in sport to mention but a few topics.

A Level PE is also offered as a subject at Ashmole.  AS PE is a 70%-30% split between theory and practical respectively.  The course is divided into 3 separate areas.  Students are expected to participate in sports outside of school which aids their practical grade.

A2 PE also has a 70%-30% split.  The theory element has the same components as the AS course with the addition of Socio-cultural and Contemporary issues. 


We firmly believe in the importance of participation in physical activity at all levels to aid the physical, mental and social development of the participants. We encourage excellence through our celebrated school teams, whilst we endeavour to provide an increasing range of recreational opportunities to suit all abilities and interests.  Extra-curricular sports that are offered include football, netball, table tennis, basketball, badminton, athletics, rounders, cricket and tennis.

We are well suited to offer a broad programme for each individual student with excellent facilities, including a full size astro turf, two football pitches, a rugby pitch, an outdoor multi games area, large indoor sports hall and gymnasium.