Music at Ashmole
The Music Department at Ashmole is a vibrant and lively part of our Arts Faculty.
Music is an important part of our curriculum and we actively encourage all our students to take part in all kinds of music from Rock Bands to Instrumental Ensembles and Singing Groups.
All students who study at Ashmole Academy are invited to learn a musical instrument. As long as they are enthusiastic no previous musical knowledge is required. All we ask is for your child to attend their lessons regularly, and to practise.
We can offer lessons in a wide range of instruments including bassoon, ‘cello, clarinet, double bass, drums, flute, guitar (acoustic and electric), keyboard, piano, saxophone, viola violin, and voice.
Instrumental tuition is provided by specially selected peripatetic staff with a wealth of teaching and performance experience. Tuition is scheduled during the school day. The timetable changes on a two weekly basis so that the student’s same academic lessons are not continually missed. Requests for lunchtime, early morning and after school slots will be accommodated if possible. These slots are limited and will operate on a first come, first served basis.
Ashmole Academy offers 15 minute instrumental lessons and 30 minute instrumental lessons. We recommend 30 minute lessons if your child is preparing for a graded examination.
Costs are as follows: 10 x 15 minute lessons - £100 per term
10 x 30 minute lessons - £200 per term
Students are encouraged to take ABRSM graded exams, but it is not essential. Our teachers are experienced in preparing and guiding students through their exams, to make the process as pleasant an experience as possible. ABRSM exams are taken here at Ashmole, and are normally scheduled towards the end of each term. We can enter students for graded exams set by other boards but these exams would be taken off site.
Terms and Conditions
- We reserve the right to change the time and dates of tuition if necessary.
- It is the student’s responsibility to check the time of their lesson each week. Timetables are available on the school intranet (Firefly), the Performing Arts notice board, at Reception, or in the Performing Arts Office. It is essential that students check their timetable the night before their lesson or on the morning of their lesson in case there have been any last minute changes.
- It is the student’s responsibility to inform the Music Manager (Ms Kanjee) if they are unable to attend their tuition due to school assessments, tests, examinations, school trips or other school activities. If we are informed at least 48 hours before the lesson, we will reschedule it. Refunds will not be given for these lessons.
- Tuition that is missed for any reason that is not the school’s fault, and about which we have not been informed within the time outlined above, will not be made up, nor a refund given. This includes student sickness.
- If a student misses more than two lessons in a row we reserve the right to stop their tuition.
- Payment for the whole term must be made in full by the deadline given. If payment is not received by this deadline, then the student will not be timetabled for tuition.
- Payments must be made by ParentPay. (New Year 7 student’s tuition fees can be paid by cheque).
- One half of a term’s notice must be given IN WRITING (via letter or email) if you do not wish to continue with instrumental tuition.
If you need any further information, please contact Ms A Beacon (Music Manager) 020 8361 5703 x2204