Behaviour and Discipline
An aim of this school is to create a friendly environment while insisting on strict standards of behaviour and courtesy. The ethos of the school is founded on the quality of relationships between all who work and learn here. Such relationships are characterised by mutual respect, consideration and common courtesy, irrespective of position, gender, race, disability or culture. We have a set of six values that underpin all that we stand for in the school. These are Endeavour, Reflection, Professionalism, Responsibility, Respect and Co-operation.
We aim to treat each person as an individual and expect each person to achieve high standards, displaying honesty, integrity and politeness in all situations. The school has a uniform and appearance code and requires students to arrive at school fully prepared for work.
Through good models of adult behaviour, consistent approaches in dealing with students and constant encouragement to develop self-esteem, we aim to engender self-discipline and autonomous adherence to high standards by all. Our strong, efficient pastoral system supports the positive working attitudes in the school.
The Head Teacher and school staff implement behaviour and discipline practices which are made explicit to students in their school journals and through assemblies and tutorial programmes. The implementation of these practices will involve both sanctions and rewards. Rewards and sanctions will be implemented consistently whilst recognising that the Head Teacher must have regard to the individual situation and the individual pupil. The Head Teacher will use his professional judgement in the implementation of these practices.
The Governing Body has a firm policy against violence, being in possession of dangerous, offensive or illegal weapons, smoking, vaping, drugs, alcohol use and solvent abuse. The school openly condemns these behaviours and will suspend students, including permanent exclusion, for such offences. The school will take action against negative attitudes and values including bad manners, racism, sexism, bullying and anything that goes against the school’s values, code of conduct and rules.
At Ashmole Academy we believe that the following behaviour from adults and students will encourage even higher standard of behaviour.
- Clear, appropriate preparation for lessons
- Clear communication
- Clear guidance on the use of sanctions and praise
- Consistent use of praise and sanctions across all years
- Mutual respect and support
- Opportunities for student involvement at all levels
- Adults setting high and appropriate standards in behaviour, dress and expectations
Around the School
- All members of the school community should treat one another with respect
- Punctuality from all is absolutely necessary
- Courtesy at all times is essential in corridors and at doors
- Any work produced should always be the best effort possible
- All work produced whether in books, for display or for reference must be treated with respect
At Ashmole Academy We Value
- Telling the truth
- Keeping promises
- Respecting the rights and property of others
- Acting considerately towards others
- Taking responsibility for one’s actions
- Our own skills and the skills of others
- Achieving or exceeding your personal best
- Prejudice and Discrimination including race, gender and disability
- Substance Misuse
- Illegal Activities
- Disruption of, or damage to, the learning of others
We will take action against pupils who practise these behaviours, including suspension, particularly where serious breaches occur or misbehaviour is repeated.